Wednesday, January 15, 2020

I Do Not Want to Do Video!

Tribal elder, Mayalan Village, Northern Guatemala

As the business of commercial photography changes with the times, more and more photographers are reorienting their businesses to add video production services, and some are even switching over to video entirely.

Frankly, this makes me glad I’m late in my career. My dedication has always been to the still image and I don't want to do video!

I got my start in the early 1970s, working for a film production company that did   what used to be called industrial movies, short films which were mostly used for sales and promotion.  However, our bread and butter was filmstrips (older readers may remember them), mostly for food service employee training. It was an interesting time for me, and a different world.

(A filmstrip, for the uninitiated, is a sequence of still photographs on one strip of film, usually with a soundtrack, and shown by means of a projector.)

Boy with puppy, Mayalan Village

After a stint with another company as director of advertising, I opened my own photography and production business in 1978, majoring in slide shows and filmstrips, but not movies. I did, among other things, 36 filmstrips for the Krystal hamburger chain, teaching employees how to do everything from cooking the burgers to cleaning the toilets; and more than 60 promotional and fund-raising filmstrips for Church of God World Missions.

By 1985, many of the A-V programs I did were set up as three-projector slide shows playing on one screen with dissolve effects, and transferred to videocassette for distribution. I loved that medium, and really thought it would last. But by the end of 1990, all was swept away as the world converted to video. I firmly believed, and still believe, that a sequence of still photographs is a better teaching/training tool for most things than video.

But I tried video for a couple of years and absolutely hated it, so I re-invented myself as a commercial photographer.

Young scholar, Mayalan Village

A few years ago, as the digital age advanced and I saw more and more work going to amateurs and semi-pros with automated cameras, I decided to find specialties that were as safe as possible from those people. I chose the dual disciplines of architecture and business headshots, both of which require lighting skills a bit more advanced than flash-on-camera. Fortunately, those specialties are also the most impervious to the encroachment of video.

As I get older and no longer need or care to call on art directors less than half my age, I'm finding my final refuge in photographing and writing for books and magazine articles. I believe in the power of the still image and absolutely do not want to do video.

And now I don't have to.

If you would like to see a sample of a still-photo-based audio-visual program, check this one out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=8qVWeosEXBo

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave, I came across your blog after researching the OM2N and I’m glad I did.

    I’ve just spent the last hour reading your posts and have bookmarked at least a dozen of them for future reference. Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

    I’m actually researching camera setups for a 3 month trip across South East Asia and I’m contemplating just shooting film for the duration.

    As an 80s child I have fond childhood memories of film and continue to shoot black and white film (which I prefer over colour). Although when I do shoot colour, I have switched to digital due to the cost and availability of colour film.

    I know it’s not about cameras, lenses etc but capturing unique moments and telling stories but if you were in my position what would you take with you?

    I own a Nikon DSLR, Nikon AF 35mm cameras and a couple of 35mm OM1N’s.

    I enjoy shooting both the Nikon and OM but I just can’t decide on the right setup.

    Lens wise I’m going with 24/50/85mm.

    I’m just blown away by your photos from your travels.

    And I love a audio-visual - sadly we don’t see many of them today.

    Chris Markers Le Jettee remains one of the greatest films of all time for a good reason.

    Thanks again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Best wishes, David

    ReplyDelete