Monday, December 13, 2021

Midday Rest

Our little herd, taking their noonday rest under a redbud tree in March, 2003. Alice, at the far left, looks on suspiciously, but then, Alice always looked suspicious. This photo was among the first I made with my first digital camera, a Canon 10D fitted with a 50mm f1.8EF "nifty-fifty" lens.

Raising beef cattle may seem to be an odd avocation for a full-time commercial photographer, but that's what I did for 24 years. During that time I estimate I averaged at least 15 hours a week (probably more like 20!) feeding and caring for the cattle, maintaining the land, cutting firewood, etc., plus 40 or more hours at the studio. Louise did a lot also, but my work hours were more flexible.

We loved our cattle, and all had names. But all good things must end, and eventually it became clear to us that our time with our cattle was drawing to a close.

The cattle left in 2013, and gradually, maintaining the empty land became less and less fun. By 2017 or so, we realized that we no longer owned our property -- it owned us! Time to sell and move on to the  next chapter of our lives.

So we did.

Getting a drink before settling in for the noonday siesta.

Photographs and text copyright 2021, David B.Jenkins.

I post each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My cows take their midday break

No comments:

Post a Comment