Friday, July 28, 2023

23 Years of Neglect

 Rock City Barn NC-10. Bryson City, North Carolina.

You may have difficulty recognizing it, but this is the little red Rock City barn in Bryson City, North Carolina that I pictured in my previous post.

As I mentioned in my post of July 14, I had an assignment from Blue Ridge Country magazine to revisit the Rock City barns in the Smoky Mountains that were pictured in my book Rock City Barns: A Passing Era and do a photo-feature about them. I did the photography the first weekend of February, 2019 and the article appeared in the May-June issue that year.

Some barns were missing, of course, but I found nine that were still standing. Most of them a little worse for wear, but surprisingly, not changed all that much after 23 years. One even looked better because the owners had installed new siding.

But my favorite, this little barn in Bryson City, North Carolina that I photographed in December, 1995 was almost unrecognizable beneath its load of vines. If you look carefully you can still see part of the See Rock City sign. I think this landmark barn could be saved if someone were to cut away the vines and prop it up a bit, but apparently the owners feel no incentive to do that. 

Sad.

(Fuji X-T1 camera, Fujichron XC 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 OIS-II lens.)

Signed copies of the second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia are now available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com. Or, you can mail a check to me at 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags: Travel   Rock City  barns   photography  Fuji cameras   North Carolina   Bryson City

No comments:

Post a Comment