Friday, July 14, 2023

The Harrisburg Covered Bridge

The Harrisburg Covered Bridge, Sevier County, Tennessee


 In early 2019 I I submitted a story idea to the editor of Blue Ridge Country magazine: I would revisit the Rock City barns in the Blue Ridge mountains that were in my book Rock City Barns: A Passing Era and see how many of them were still standing. The proposal was accepted and I spent a weekend following the trail of the old barns in Tennessee and North Carolina. The article was published in the May/June, 2019 issue of the magazine. I found nine barns still standing, but that's a story for another blog!

As I was traveling north out of Sevierville on Tennessee Highway 339, I happened to see on my right an historic marker for Harrisburg Covered Bridge. Naturally, I turned right and went looking! It was just a short distance to the bridge, which appeared to be in excellent condition and in regular use.

The bridge was built in1875, making it the oldest covered bridge in Tennessee. Crossing the East Fork of the Little Pigeon River, the bridge uses the King Post Truss design. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, and in 2004 was renovated and strengthened, making it possible to carry loads of up to 15 tons.

(The bridge photo was made with a Fuji X-T1 camera and the Fujinon XC16-50mm f3.5-5.6 lens.)

The second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia is almost ready to ship. Watch this space for ordering instructions.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment