Friday, August 25, 2023

If Your Pictures Suck, A Better Camera Won't Help

Boynton Beauty Salon, Old Highway 2, Catoosa County, Georgia


 On the other hand, it might.

Maybe.

If you're happy with the pictures you're getting from your cell phone camera, why  change? Some people are doing really good work, even professional work, with cell phones. And they're great for quick snaps of family and friends and the like.

Or maybe you have a nice digital SLR, or even one of the new mirrorless ones. Unless you're really screwing things up, your camera is probably giving you sharp, properly exposed photographs.

If all you want is sharp, well-exposed pictures of your family and friends, maybe pictures of the places you go, and the things you see as you go about your life, you probably already have what you need. 

But if you're not satisfied with your pictures, the problem most likely is not your camera. It's with your seeing

(To be continued.) 

(Photo made with Nikkormat FTN camera, 50mm Nikkor lens, Kodachrome film.)

Signed copies of the second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia are now available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com. Or, you can mail a check to me at 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags: photography    Nikkormat FTN camera    Nikkor  50mm lens

 

4 comments:

  1. Maybe I would see better through a Leica viewfinder? Joking, of course. I'm happy with my Nikon D850, but I sometimes wish it was smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried for many years, but finally had to face the fact that I am not a Leica photographer. I do believe that training one's vision to work with a Leica viewfinder and a limited set of lenses makes one a better photographer. But I am an SLR, zoom lens photographer, like it or not..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Zeiss' last Ikon rangefinder camera with a 50mm lens on it for a few years. I really regret selling it. It felt good in the hand and it helped me with my photography because it slowed me down, there weren't a dozen buttons and dials on the camera to distract me, and having just one lens meant I had to work a bit more to get the photo I wanted. And it was such a pleasure to use. But, in the end, parallax error meant I couldn't use the camera for everything. I do prefer an SLR viewfinder for precise framing. I take out my Minolta X-700 when I want a minimalist photography experience. Nice, but it's no Zeiss Ikon.

      Delete
    2. Defiinitely no Zeiss Ikon. But then, what is?

      Delete