Friday, August 18, 2023

The Tour that Didn't Get Published

The 1894 Harville House, Bulloch County, Georgia

When Countryman Press first contacted me about doing a second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia, the editor asked me, in addition to updating and expanding the original 15 tours, to create an additional tour.

For the first edition of the book, I drove more than 11,000 miles. For the second edition, since I was retracing the original 15 tours, I only drove about 7,500 miles. For the new tour I planned a route along Interstate 16 in east central Georgia, going both north and south of the interstate.

The tour began with the magnificent ruin of the 1894 Harville House south of Statesboro and included historic houses, churches, courthouses and one unique old mill in Bulloch, Burke, Candler, Emmanuel, and Jenkins counties.  It ended in Bulloch county in a little, vanishing community called Hopulikit. I drove more than 600 miles to map it out and photograph each site. It cost me a good bit of time and money.

After all that, the editor (a new one by this time) cancelled inclusion of the tour in the book, citing increased costs of paper and printing. But I can share a few of the pictures with the readers of this blog and it will eventually wind up as an article in Georgia Backroads magazine, so it isn't a total loss.

The picture below is the unique mill I mentioned above. It's the Parrish Mill, built in 1880 atop a dam on 15 Mile Creek. An unique combination of both grist mill and covered bridge, it's now part of George L. Smith State Park near Twin City.

The 1880 Parrish Mill and Covered Bridge in George L. Smith State Park.

(Both photos were made with the Fuji X-H1 camera with the Fujinon XC 16-50 f3.5-5.6 lens.)  

Signed copies of the second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia are now available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com. Or, you can mail a check to me at 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags: Travel    Georgia travel    Parrish Mill    George L. Smith State Park    Fuji X-H1 camera    Fujinon XC 16-50 lens    Fujifilm cameras    Fujinon lenses

No comments:

Post a Comment