Friday, September 8, 2023

Seeing Photos: Study the Great Photographers

Stonehenge. Copyright The Estate of Fritz Henle

A very important part of my own journey in learning to see photographically has been looking at the work of other photographers. Those whose work has been most inspirational for me are Fritz Henle, my first, and still one of my greatest, influences; B.A. "Tony" King, Robert Doisneau, Elliott Erwitt, James Ravilious, and Richard W. Brown.

This is a diverse group, and you might well ask "How does this business of studying the work of other photographers fit in with your recommendation in your previous post about finding one's individuality?"

To that question I can only reply that it works. I have drunk deeply at the well of each of these photographers and my own photos are the better for it, yet my pictures do not look like theirs.

My favorite way of looking at photographs is in books, of which I have a large collection. Some of the photographers I mentioned still have books in print; some of their books can be found in used bookstores, and most of their books are available through online bookstores such as abebooks.com. But building a collection, even with used books, can be an expensive way to go.

I think books are actually the second best way to look at photographs. The best way, of course, is to view original prints. But that's not an option for most of us unless we live in large cities with art galleries that show photographs.

So that leaves looking at photographs online: an option that's available to just about all of us. If you're reading this, it's open to you. Look up the photographers I've listed above, and add one more name to the list: Jay Maisel.

Nest time I'll name more photographers I think you can learn from and whose work you may enjoy looking at.

Signed copies of the new second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail a check to me at 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography copyright 2023 The Estate of Fritz Henle. Text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags: photography    photographic seeing       Fritz Henle     B.A. "Tony" King    Robert Doisneau     Elliott Erwitt      James Ravilious     Richard W. Brown     Jay Maisel

No comments:

Post a Comment