Monday, October 23, 2023

A Non-Glamorous Photo Assignment

Electronics technician, T.J. Snow Company, Chattanooga

 

One of my long-time clients was the T.J. Snow Company of Chattanooga, a pioneer in the development and manufacturing of robotic welding machines. I spent many days over a period of twelve to fifteen years documenting the process of assembling the machines and photographing the finished products, some of which were as large as a small room.

I'm not sure what this technician was doing, and probably wouldn't understand it anyway, but I liked his look of total concentration. 

Lighting was one large electronic flash unit placed almost 90 degrees to my right. In retrospect, I sometimes wish I had used another light from camera position to fill the shadows a bit and put a little more light on the dark side of his face. But then it might be less dramatic. Probably should have tried it both ways.

The thing I like most about commercial photography is that it's an endless process of problem-solving, but none of the problems are earth-shaking, and nobody will die if I get it wrong. 

Contrary to rumors, commercial photography, while often fascinating, is seldom glamorous.

I used both Olympus OM and Canon EOS cameras during the years I worked with T.J Snow. I have no idea which was used for this photo. 


Signed copies of the new second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail a check to me at 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography    commercial photography     T.J. Snow Company, Inc.    Olympus OM cameras     Canon EOS cameras

1 comment:

  1. Dave, we r mailing the check today for your book...but instead of a large white envelope, we are sending you some other items in a 9" x 6' x 2" box. Please look for it at the 8943 Wesley Place address. Let us know when it arrives safely. Glenn & fleta

    ReplyDelete