Friday, October 20, 2023

Who was Dave?

Daves. Meriwether County, Georgia

Who was Dave? What kind of place was this? A country store? A bar or restaurant? 

Located on a connecting road between U.S. Highway 27ALT and Georgia Highway 16 south of Greenville (as best I remember), this boarded-up old building asks only questions and provides no answers.

I love photographs with a bit of mystery. Photographs that ask more than they reveal. Perhaps that's why I love to photograph the old and the abandoned, the worn out and the passing away. They speak of people we will never know, of lives lived in obscurity.

There were many abandoned houses in the country neighborhood in southern Indiana where I grew up. I remember being fascinated by them. Quite a few were large, two-story, almost mansions, in fact. They witnessed of a prosperous but long-gone time in the early 20th century when they sat on hills, surrounded by large farms of fertile bottom-land.

Years later I drove around and photographed some of them. To what purpose, I had no idea at the time. I just found them interesting.

All of which makes me kind of an odd duck, I reckon.

I made this photo in December, 2012, when Louise and I went to Pine Mountain to see the Christmas lights at Callaway Gardens. The camera was a digital Olympus E-M5 and the lens was the Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6. I wish I could give the exact location, but the travel notebook I used from about 2005 to 2016 has been lost.

Signed copies of the new second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail a check to me at 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography     travel     Georgia     Olympus digital cameras     Olympus E-M5     Panasonic lenses     Callaway Gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment