Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Winter Just Got Here. . .

White-out at 8943 Wesley Place.

. . .and already I'm ready for it to leave.

All the talking heads said it was gonna snow, and snow it did. Nine or ten inches in our yard in Knoxville. Now they say it's going to be cold, and I believe them -- It's  nine degrees at 10:45 p.m., with a predicted low of two below zero. It's been quite a few years since we've experienced temperatures that low. Probably around 2012, as best I remember. That was a cold winter, and I remember burning eight ricks of wood in our fireplace -- all of which I cut, split, and stacked by myself.

On the other hand, we lived in Tallahassee, Florida when we were first married (Louise was a student at Florida State), and had a temperature of two below zero one morning in January, 1966. In a Florida house, no less, with jalousie windows, some of which didn't close properly!

Our son Rob says it was 24 below zero one morning in January, 1985 when he was a graduate student at UT. I checked, and that was the lowest temperature ever recorded in Knoxville. So it doesn't look like we're going to break any records this week, at least, and that's totally fine with me.

I cleared a small area in our front lawn for Georgia, our little long-haired Chihuahua, and she has taken care of business in a very business-like way.

I understand some people like winter. I classify that among life's mysteries. True, winter can sometimes be beautiful, but for myself, I can't wait for spring to come.

(Photo: Fuji X-T20 camera, Fujicron XC 16-50mm lens.)

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography     winter     snow    Fuji X-T20 camera, Fujicron XC 16-50mm lens

2 comments:

  1. I remember the cold in 1985 minus 10 in Chickamauga it was around her birthday January 20
    It’s busy in the hardware business when it gets that cold every thing freezes and breaks


    Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived in Morris Estates in Catoosa County 1975-1987. I remember one night when it was 10 or 12 below, but not sure just when it was. It killed the shrubs in front of our house.
      Dave

      Delete