Wednesday, September 25, 2024

More Preaching about Noticing Things

Above the crowd. U.S. Highway 441, Clinch County, Georgia.

 It occurred to me last night that it's been a while since I nagged  my readers (both of them!) about my favorite photo-subject: noticing things

Actually, noticing things will benefit more than just your photography. It's also important in all of life. When your eyes and mind are open to everything around you, your entire life will be enriched. 

Noticing things benefits others, too. As the great American photographer Tony King said, "The photographer is like the kid who discovers something really cool -- a new kitten, perhaps, or a birds nest with the fledglings still in it -- and runs to tell his friends to come see what he found."

Photographs can give us new insights, kindle our sense of wonder, and increase our appreciation of the world around us.

The Best Iron Works in Town. Orange Walk Town, Belize.

 But it all begins when we open our eyes and minds and notice the things around us. As the great New York Yankees catcher Yogi Berra said, "You can observe a whole lot just by lookin'." (Did you know that Berra is the most quoted person in the English language? Yes, even more than Shakespeare. Look up some of his sayings. You will be amazed.) 

About the equipment: The tree standing above the crowd was photographed with a Canon EOS 5D Classic digital camera and the Canon EF 24-85mm lens; the Best Iron Works was photographed with an Olympus OM2n film camera and the Olympus Zuiko 85mm f2 lens on Fujichrome 100D film.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available for $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

If you would like to have a print of any of my photographs, check out my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  If you don't find what you want there, let me know and I'll arrange to include it in the gallery.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography    travel     Canon EOS 5D Classic camera     Fujichrome 100D film    Georgia    Olympus OM2n camera    Orange Walk Town    Canon EF 24-85mm lens    Olympus Zuiko 85mm f2 lens     Belize    Yogi Berra quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment