Friday, September 20, 2024

The Georgia Backroads Traveler: The Ogeechee River Mill


  The Ogeechee River Mill. A fully operational mill in Hancock County.

When I first started this blog, I reserved another blog name but never did anything with it. But I always liked the name, and have decided to incorporate The Georgia Backroads Traveler into this blog, to use whenever I write about things specific to Georgia. 

Today, I'm writing about an old mill, as I will do from time to time. The Ogeechee River Mill on the upper reaches of the Ogeechee River, west of Warrenton, on the Warren County/Hancock County line, is unusually beautiful and well-preserved.

The first mill at this location was built in 1847 on the other side of the river, but was rebuilt on its present site in 1933 to avoid flooding. The original wooden dam was replaced by a concrete dam at that time. 

Powered by an underwater turbine rather than an exterior wheel, the mill is in regular service with a number of clients for its products. It's a good idea to call well in advance to arrange a tour, because the mill is located on a working cattle farm and owners Missy Garner and her son Alex Broward are busy people. Call them at 706-464-2195 or 706-831-1432 and leave a message if you don't get an answer. The cost of the tour is $10 for adults; school children get in free. I assure you it will be well worth your money.
 
Two of the millstones. I think there were actually three sets.
 
Southern-style grits are a specialty, and if the mill isn't grinding grits when you visit, you can buy a bag or two at the IGA grocery store in Warrenton.
 
(Adapted from my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia.)


Both photos were made with an Olympus E-M5 digital camera. A Panasonic Lumix 14-140mm lens was used for the exterior view; a Panasonic Lumix 12-32mm lens for the millstones.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

If you would like to have a print of one of my photographs, check out my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  If you don't find what you want there, let me know and I'll arrange to include it in the gallery.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography    travel     Olympus E-M5 digital camera     Panasonic Lumix 14-140mm lens    Panasonic Lumix 12-32mm lens    old mills     Warren County, Georgia    Hancock Countty, Georgia     Ogeechee River

No comments:

Post a Comment