Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Footloose in Italy: The Cinque Terra Part II


Up and over the mountainside


As I mentioned before, Louise talked me into walking up and over the mountain from Monteroso to Vernazza. The mountainside is terraced with vineyards, and often, there are steps up from one level to the next. The trail is narrow in some places, with some steep drop-offs, but not actually dangerous. Although the hike is only 1.8 miles, it takes about two hours and since those 1.8 miles are up and down it definitely seems longer. The view of Vernazza from the mountainside, however, was worth the trip.


Vernazza

By the time we got down to the town, I was hot and beyond thirsty. I bought a cold Orange Crush from a street vendor and drank it in a few gulps. I'm not normally an Orange Crush drinker, but I have to say I've never had anything quite so good or so refreshing. (And no Orange Crush since has tasted as good!)

Four Women of Vernazza. . .
. . .enjoying a good gossip session.

Feeling restored, I looked around and saw four ladies sitting on a bench beneath a brightly painted boat and a little girl running down the village's main street. As I mentioned in my earlier post, Vernazza is one of the Cinque Terra villages that is built in a ravine, so I imagine a good bit of water comes down that street when it rains hard.
 

Main Street, Vernazza

The railway that connects the five Cinque Terra villages runs along the mountainside above the towns, so after exploring a bit we walked up the hill to the station and caught a train back to Monteroso. The next day was warm and sunny, so Louise decided to catch up on her sunbathing time while I walked around and did what photographers do.


Beach Bunny Louise

The following day dawned gray and threatening, but we had decided to make a day trip to Pisa and Florence, so we went anyway. The rain held off until Florence, where we spent the afternoon walking around in the rain looking at statues. I really would like to go back sometime and see Florence in good weather. As it was, we spent a good while in a little shop waiting out the rain and eating gelato. 


Monteroso in the rain, as we left it.

Next morning it was still raining as we took our leave of the Cinque Terra and boarded a train for Venice. We had a really happy time in the Five Villages and have many good memories. I'm especially glad to have photographs to keep it all fresh in our minds.

(Photographs copyright David B. Jenkins 2020)

Soli Deo Gloria
For the glory of God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment