Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Two Red Chairs

Red Chairs, Hahira, Georgia

Canon EOS 20D, 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 EF lens


After a number of successful years as a creative director/design editor for several different organizations and publications, Michael Largent and his wife Debbie moved from Atlanta to Chattanooga to be closer to her aging parents. The transition to a much smaller market was a difficult one for Michael, as it was some time before he was able to find a position with a salary appropriate to his very considerable skills. 

Michael had a venerable Honda Accord which had been carefully maintained by a mechanic friend who owned an independent Honda repair shop in Atlanta. About the time Michael moved to Chattanooga, the mechanic friend went on semi-retired status, moved to Hahira (pronounced "Hay-HI-ra") a village just north of Valdosta, Georgia, and bought a home with an oversize garage complete with hydraulic lift in the backyard, just to keep his hand in the game. 

In January, 2007, Michael's Honda developed major engine problems. Since his longtime mechanic friend offered him a deal he couldn't refuse, he asked me if we could load his car on my flatbed trailer and haul it to Hahira. I knew my trailer and Dodge Grand Caravan were up to the job because I routinely used the rig to carry three 1200-pound round bales of hay at a time to feed my cattle, so I said okay. Besides, he was buying the gas, and who could resist a road trip with a good friend? 

The trip south on Interstate 75 was uneventful. We deposited the Honda at the mechanic's new home, which was actually in the country a few miles from Hahira, and while Michael and his friend were talking things over in the backyard I walked around the house and liked the look of two red lawn chairs on the front porch. 

Old Mount Zion Baptist Church

U.S. Highway 41, Dooly County, Georgia

Canon EOS 5D Classic, 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 EF lens

 

Coming home, we drove up U.S. Highway 41, where I made several more photos I liked, including the one of the wide porch in Cordele and this one of Old Mount Zion Baptist Church. These and some others from the trip are included in my limited edition book Georgia: A Backroads Portrait.

The name "Hay-HI-ra" lends itself to puns, at least to my mind, but unfortunately I can no longer use them because my newest granddaughter-in-law, the very lovely Jenn Robinson Jenkins, is from there. 

Who could have imagined it? Lose some, win some.

Blog Note: I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings at alifeinphotography.blogspot.com. I'm trying to build up my readership, so if you're reading this on Facebook and like what I write, would you please consider sharing my posts? 

(Photographs copyright David B. Jenkins 2020)

Soli Gloria Deo

To the glory of God alone

No comments:

Post a Comment