Friday, January 8, 2021

My Last Commercial Gig?

 Morning show personalities, WMBW Radio, Chattanooga.

This is from a 2016 photo session, but we try to maintain

the same feeling of spontaneity in each iteration.

Canon EOS 6D, 100mm f2 EF lens

(Click to enlarge)

 

Yesterday I did what may be my last commercial photography assignment. It was staff portraits for Radio Station WMBW, the local Moody Radio network affiliate. WMBW has been a client for many years. 

I say it's my last gig, but who knows for sure? I no longer solicit commercial photography, but I still enjoy doing it. So if someone asks me, I'm not going to turn down the opportunity. Granted, there aren't many 83-year-old commercial photographers around, but if I'm able to do the work, if I enjoy doing it, and there's no reason not to do it, then why shouldn't I do it?

One of my heroes is Julius Schulman, probably the greatest architectural photographer ever. He retired in his 80s, got bored after a while, and went back to work until his death at age 99, getting around with a walker and an assistant to carry his camera and tripod. 

Another of my heroes is the Biblical Caleb, the contemporary of Joshua. As the Israelites were occupying the land of Canaan, Caleb went to Joshua and said (paraphrasing) "I'm 85 years old. My eyes are still good and I'm as strong as ever. So give me this mountain and I'll drive out the Anakim (a tribe of giants)." 

I'm probably not going to find any giants to kill, but I'm looking forward to starting work on a second edition of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia (Countryman Press, 2017). The deadline is the end of this year, and if all goes well it will be in bookstores around the middle of 2022. 

Meanwhile, the sale of our home and property is moving ahead. We have purchased our next home -- a fifth-wheel trailer -- and are busy moving our selves and our possessions into it. I'll try to have some photos to show in my next post. 

Blog Note: I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings at alifeinphotography.blogspot.com. I'm trying to build up my readership, so if you're reading this on Facebook and like what I write, would you please consider sharing my posts?

(Photograph copyright David B. Jenkins 2020)

Soli Gloria Deo

To the glory of God alone


 

2 comments: