Monday, January 24, 2022

When Life Gets in the Way

The Harville House: A Magnificent Ruin

Built in 1894, the Harville House in Bulloch County has been

allowed to become a ruin, but it still displays its former

magnificence. (Notice my truck in the left background.)

Fuji XH-1, Fujinon XC 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 OISII lens

 

 Welcome back, Dear Readers, assuming there are any. As I wrote in the intro to this blog,

"This blog is about photography, about life, and about my life in photography. I'll be talking about the tools, techniques, and philosophy of photography, about some of the things that happen in my life, and whatever else crosses my mind."

Today it's about life.

At the end of every post on this blog is a line that says "I post each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way."

Well, life has been in the way.

We spent the fall camped near Knoxville and spent the holidays with our son Don and his family. We also began attending one of our favorite churches, Cedar Springs Presbyterian in Knoxville, the church we had attended via TV during the pandemic. Having been singers most of our lives, Louise and I promptly joined the choir, singing in the church services and ultimately singing in two Christmas concerts, each of which involved multiple practice sessions. It was a busy but very enjoyable time.

I was also selecting, editing, cropping, and otherwise prepping the photographs for the second edition of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia, plus more editing of the text. I have to turn it all in by the end of February.

On January 4th we said goodbye to our family and friends in Knoxville and pointed the truck and RV toward Florida. We planned to stop for a few days at the campground in Chattanooga where we spent last winter to see our doctor and take care of a few business matters, but on our second day there Louise had a dizzy spell, fell, and broke her hip. She was taken by ambulance to a hospital and the next day had surgery to pin the bones back together. She is doing very well and starts physical therapy this week, but apparently we are not going to make it to Florida until March. All this reminds me again of the old proverb "Man plans, God laughs!"

However, if this had to happen, this was a good place for it. We lived in this area for many years and have many friends here. But I could sure use some of that good Florida weather right now, because it's been cold as a Wican's mammery.

I realize that none of this is a good excuse for suspending my blog for so long. Truth is, I had just gotten stale and felt I had run out of things to write about. My granddaughter, Jennifer Steinmetz, herself a very fine writer, encouraged me to restart the blog and keep plugging away.

(The photo above is from a new chapter I'm adding to the Backroads and Byways book.)

Photograph and text copyright 2021, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about Louise's hip. Our daughter broke hers in 2020 and we know that the recovery is no fun. It's good to have you blogging again. What a great photograph for the restart!

    ReplyDelete