Friday, April 7, 2023

Looking for New Targets

                                Abandoned Maverick and trailer, TN 108, Marion County, Tennessee

Blog note:

Sorry to miss a post or two. Something hit me like an avalanche on Saturday evening with heavy sinus and chest congestion, a low grade-fever, and such great lassitude that all I've wanted to do is sleep. My covid test was negative. I'm just enough better today to write, but I'm not looking for any dragons to slay!

Anyway, that's not what this post is about. It's about adapting photographically to a new environment. We lived for 45 years in Georgia. And now (I'm still not exactly sure how it happened), we find ourselves living in Tennessee.  

Georgia, at least for me, offered an abundance of photographic targets, resulting in two books (plus a second edition of one of them) and many, many pictures of the kind you see when you're out and about if your eyes are open. Tennessee? Too soon to say. I think it will be okay. I've made many photographs in Tennessee over they years, but never a concentrated effort such as a book.

I do have a book offer on the table from my publisher, W.W. Norton. It's tempting,  but I don't think I'll do it. A state book is more than I want to take on at this point in my life. Besides, Louise is opposed to it, which ought to settle the matter! If the publisher knew that I'm soon to be 86 they would probably withdraw the offer anyway.

W live in town now, which makes things a little more difficult for me, because I'm not an urban photographer. Perhaps we'll finish settling in soon and I can take my camera and check out some countryside. I saw some interesting things in Tennessee when I was working on the Rock City Barns book, so there's hope!

If you like my photographs, you can see more of them in my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and, who knows? You might find something you want to keep.

The second edition of my book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia will be released in June, 2023. 

Photograph and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment