Monday, September 30, 2024

Thinking about Film

Aspens and Lodgepole Pines at DeMotte Campground north of the Grand Canyon.

 


My film cameras and film stock.

For a number of years I've been keeping a few rolls of film in my refrigerator. (Refrigerated film will last a long time without changing color.) You can see what I have -- three rolls of Fujichrome Provia in 35mm, a roll of 35mm Fujicolor 400, three rolls of Fujichrome Provia in 120 size, and three rolls of 120 Fujichrome Astia.

The photo of the aspens and pines at the top of this post was made with the Autocord, the camera in the center, above. That was way back in 2018, on our wonderful camping trip west.

Six years is a long time to go without shooting any film. No excuse. Digital photography is just too easy, and cheap. Film is more difficult. It requires more precision, and it's expensive. But, no excuse.

What brought all this on? A few days ago, I noticed my film sitting in the refrigerator and thought hmmmm. Also, my 87-year-old body is giving me a few hints that it may not last forever. As I thought about it, I knew I didn't want to go the old folks home or to my grave with that film still in cold storage. Maybe this fall's colors will give me inspiration to take out the film and shoot it up.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available for $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

If you would like to have a print of any of my photographs, check out my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  If you don't find what you want there, let me know and I'll arrange to include it in the gallery.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography    film photography      travel          Fujichrome Provia film        Minolta Autocord camera    Twin-Lens Reflex     Fuji Astia film     120 film     35mm film

No comments:

Post a Comment