Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Touring the Wild, Wild West


Both Photos Fuji X-T20, Fujinon XC 50-230mm f4.8-6.3 OIS lens

Yellowstone and a Photographer's Dilemma

Frankly, although we spent the better part of two days in Yellowstone National Park, I didn't get any good photographs of the place.

That doesn't mean there weren't plenty of things to photograph. Yellowstone is a snapshooter's paradise, but one hot spring looks pretty much like the next. Without something to give them scale and context most snapshots turn out to be pretty meaningless. Old Faithful, of course, is distinctive, but to my everlasting shame I screwed up and did not get a good photograph of it.

Fortunately there are plenty of great photographs of Old Faithful around, so my sorry contribution will not be missed.

Another problem is that there's hardly anything in Yellowstone that hasn't been photographed a few billion times; many of those pictures made either by photographers more skilled than I or people who have time to study the park and find the best scenes and the best times of day to make their photos. And some people are just lucky.

When one is making a whirlwind tour of the west, attempting to see as many different things and places as possible, something has to give. And that something is usually the time required to make anything more than record shots.

My problems as a photographer aside, Yellowstone is a fascinating place; mountains and forests and streams like many other places, but set around an otherworldly landscape like no other. Truly a place to see and experience. For that, no camera necessary.

And sometimes serendipity smiles.

Late in the afternoon of our first day we drove up to the Mammoth Hot Springs near the north entrance to the park. The Albright Visitor Center is there, some shops, and a restaurant; also the park headquarters and some homes which I assumed were for park staff.

There were also elk all over the place, going about their elky business and taking no notice at all of the people hanging around. 

One lordly bull elk was taking his ease in someone's front yard while his harem lounged nearby, awaiting their master's pleasure.

Not being as bold as some of the cell-phone snappers, I made my photos with my longest telephoto.

Blog Note: I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings at alifeinphotography.blogspot.com. I'm trying to build up my readership, so if you're reading this on Facebook and like what I write, would you please consider sharing my posts?

(Photographs copyright David B. Jenkins 2020)

Soli Gloria Deo

To the glory of God alone

 

No comments:

Post a Comment