Friday, March 1, 2024

Found On Road Dead

 Abandoned Thunderbird, Frick's Gap Road, Walker County, Georgia.

In keeping with my penchant for photographing old and abandoned things, I've been collecting photographs of abandoned cars for more than 30 years. I'd like to do a book of them, but who knows if that will happen? I'm not sure it would even be possible, because some years ago I lost Travel Notebook #3, which covered my travels from about 1999 to around 2012 and contained all my information about locations, etc. 

Notebooks #1 and #2 have Rock City barns info and also have notes about the old cars I came across while working on the barn project, but I photographed a lot of cars in the first decade of this century for which I have no records. 

"White Trash." U.S. Highway 27, Rhea County, Tennessee.

The abandoned early '70s Thunderbird was photographed on a friend's farm in northwest Georgia's McLemore Cove. I'm not sure what year it was, but I think they sold the place before 2000. Also, the photo was made on black & white film, which I did not use after 2003. 

The second photo I call "White Trash." I don't mean that as a reflection on the people who once lived there; just that, through whatever circumstances, their possessions had been left to crumble away into trash. Very likely some old person had died or been taken to a nursing home, leaving their house and car to rot and rust away. You see this a lot in rural areas. 

This photo was made while I was working on the Rock City Barns book; probably in 1995, so I would have been using a Canon EOS A2 camera. I most likely used the same camera for the Thunderbird photo and the flower truck below.

Flower Truck. Maui, Hawaii.

The early '50s Ford "Flower Truck" was photographed while on a trip to Hawaii in 1996. I think we were on Maui at the time. We were on vacation, so I didn't keep a travel notebook. That was a lapse on my part, because a serious photographer is never really off duty.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $4.50 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography    travel`    Hawaii    Maui    black and white film     Canon EOS A2 camera     old cars

No comments:

Post a Comment