Monday, March 11, 2024

Some F.O.R.D Favorites from the West

 

A 1932 Studebaker marks the original alignment of Route 66. 

I think I'll post a few more of my favorite Found On Road Dead photos, then we'll move on to some technical/aesthetic photography subjects.

On our RV trip west in 2018, one of  the many interesting places we visited was the Petrified Forest National Park. (You can read the entire series of 19 posts beginning here.)

At the point where the original alignment of U.S. Highway 66 -the historic Route 66, fabled in songs and movies -- crosses the park road, I found something unique for my Found on Road Dead: An Anthology of Abandoned Automobiles book project. It was the weathered hulk of a 1932 Studebaker, marking the route used by millions of Los Angeles-Chicago travelers from 1926 to 1958.

Heading East.

 1959 Edsel. U.S. Highway 89, Utah. 

 Here's another one from our trip west: A 1959 Edsel, found in a junkyard along U.S. Highway 89 not far from Bryce Canyon National Park. I have a special affinity for Edsels, because Louise's mother drove one for years. When we first started dating I was car-less, so some of our first dates were in an Edsel like this one. 

We had a good visit with Louise's older sister in Orlando and were able also to see a few friends, but, sorry to say, I didn't get any blogging done. 

Photos: All photos in this post were made with a Fuji X-Pro1 and the Fujinon XF 27mm f2.8 lens. A combination that never fails to give great results, and that I should use much more often than I do. 

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $4.50 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography     travel     old cars     Utah     U.S. Highway 89     Route 66     Petrified Forest National Park     Fuji X-Pro1     Fujinon XF 27mm lens    1959 Edsel     1932 Studebaker   

No comments:

Post a Comment