Friday, April 23, 2021

Busy Days

Louise and Donny in our yard in Miami, 1969 

Yashica 124 twin-lens reflex camera, Kodak Vericolor film

 

These are busy days. We were up early this morning to get Louise to the hospital for surgery to fuse vertebrae in her lower back. Apparently a busy day at the hospital too, as they finally got her into the operating room around 3 p.m. The surgeon says everything went very well, but Louise is in considerable pain this evening, more than she suffered from her neck surgery in early March. Once she recuperates we hope to hook up our RV and get on with our lives. 

Meanwhile, we're preparing for that time. We got our truck two weeks ago; a 2018 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel with dual rear wheels. Even if we get a larger trailer sometime in the future, we won't need a larger truck. This one's a Beast! A few days ago I got a fifth-wheel trailer hitch -- a most impressive chunk of iron. 

Sunday I have a wedding to photograph. Not really good timing, but this one has been on the books for more than a year and I wouldn't want to miss it, even though I'm only the second shooter. In fact, I haven't booked a wedding on my own since 2008 or '09, but I enjoy doing them and have enjoyed working with Cayce Callaway of Atlanta, a vey fine photographer, since 2013. So I'm busy charging batteries, checking my gear, etc. Busywork, but necessary and enjoyable. 

Besides, how many almost-84-year-old wedding photographers do you know? My philosophy is, if you want to do something, if you're able to do it, and there's no good reason not to do it, then by all means do it! Think young. Thinking old will kill you!

The photo at the top of this post is a teaser for something I'm going to talk about soon -- documenting your family.

Photograph and text 1969-2021 David B. Jenkins

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

Tags: photography, film photography, cameras, Dave Jenkins, David B. Jenkins, Dodge Ram trucks, wedding photography, Yashica 124 twin-lens reflex, Kodak Vericolor film

No comments:

Post a Comment