Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Rob and His Grandpa

 Rob looks on as his grandfather, C.E. Hedgepeth

fills the tank of our '63 Plymouth.

Yashica 124 twin-lens reflex camera, Kodak 120 slide film

  

Blog Note: This is one of a series of posts about documenting the life of your family in photographs.

 Rob, our oldest son, was born to my first wife, Barbara Hedgepeth of Sarasota, Florida. She passed away when Rob was only 22 months old. Louise and I were married two years later and she became his mother in every possible way. Don was born three years later.

We maintained a close relationship with the Hedgepeths. They were very much part of our family. Rob and Don had the unusual privilege of growing up with three sets of loving grandparents. 

Rob's grandfather, C.E. Hedgepeth, a fervent Christian, was probably the finest man I've ever known. He and his wife operated a small, two-pump Sinclair station on U.S. 41 on the south side of Sarasota when 41 was the main drag. He put three kids through college with that little gas station. 

When we lived in Miami in the late 1960s, we visited the Hedgepeths frequently. Whenever we came, he always insisted in filling the tank of our '63 Plymouth (a great car).

This is another photo from my lifelong documentation of my family. You can do the same. More to come. 

Blog Note: I'm sorry to have missed Monday's post. Louise had back surgery on Thursday, came home on Saturday, and I had a wedding to photograph on Sunday. Probably my last, as Cayce Callaway, the photographer with whom I've worked since 2013, has moved away from Atlanta and is winding down her involvement in weddings, and we hope soon to be traveling in our RV. I'm not sure how many weddings I've photographed -- somewhere over 300, I'm sure. The first one was in 1972, I think. 

Photograph and text 1969-2021 David B. Jenkins

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone 

Tags: photography, film photography, cameras, Dave Jenkins, David B. Jenkins, wedding photography, family photography, Yashica 124 twin-lens reflex, Kodak  film

 

No comments:

Post a Comment