Wednesday, May 12, 2021

An Alaskan Scene

 

Taken from the railway car as we were leaving Denali National Park.

Olympus OM-D EM-5, Panasonic Lumix II 14-140 f3.5-5.6 lens


In 2015, Louise and I went to Alaska in celebration of our 50th anniversary. We flew to Fairbanks, then worked our way south on the Alaska Railroad to Denali National Park, and then on to Anchorage. I didn't get many photographs that I'm happy with on this trip, but there were some spectacular views of the mountains and the Nenana River, which forms the eastern boundary of the park, as we were leaving Denali Village on the train. 

Since the Alaska trip wasn't really about photography, I carried what for me was a minimal kit -- a Canon EOS 6D with two lenses and an Olympus OM-D E-M5 (the name is almost bigger than the camera). I might as well have left the Canon at home, because I found myself using the Olympus with its do-it-all Panasonic zoom lens most of the time. 

In 2017 I switched to Fuji X-system cameras and lenses and sold the Canon equipment. In 2018 I sold most of the Olympus gear as well. I'm happy with my Fujis and don't miss the Canons at all, and the Olympus not much. But to give credit where it's due, the Olympus E-M5s are light, easy to handle, and great picture-takers. That Panasonic zoom lens is no slouch, either.

Photograph and text copyright 2021, David B.Jenkins

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

 

Tags: photography, David B. Jenkins, Dave Jenkins, Alaska, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Denali National Park, Nenana River, Olympus OM-D E-M5 camera, Panasonic Lumix II 14-140 f3.5-5.6 lens

No comments:

Post a Comment