Monday, June 21, 2021

A Tribute to A Great Man

Byrl Thornton Jenkins on his 90th birthday, October 5, 1999

I hate to post a photo that I've used so recently, but I couldn't find the one I had hoped to use. I have it on a DVD, but for some reason my computer just kicks the disc back out when I try to run it.
 
This portrait of my Dad was made on his 90th birthday, October 5, 1999, on the front porch of his home, holding his Bible, and with a background of fall foliage. I used a Hasselblad CM and 150mm lens with Fuji NPH color negative film rated at ISO 320. I love this photograph because it shows the basic sweetness of the man.
 
Dad was a polymath. An electronics technician by profession, he was also a keen student of the Bible who pastored small churches for much of his life. But his learning went far beyond the Scriptures. An Eagle Scout in his youth, he had only two years of college but read and studied deeply in many fields -- nature, medicine, philosophy -- he could discourse intelligently on almost any subject. As a writer, he wrote voluminously on Biblical subjects. At his funeral, the pastor, who himself had advanced degrees, said "Mr. Jenkins was probably the most intelligent man I ever met."
 
He was also an avid photographer and camera collector; infecting both me, his oldest son, and Phil, his youngest, with the photo bug. Phil is a bird and wildlife photographer of great ability. I'll be writing about him and sharing some of his photographs soon .
 
Dad was was always young, always looking ahead to the next challenge. At the age of 89 he was operating two flea-market mall booths. On the last day we spent together, just a month before he died, we spent the day shopping for a computer system so he could go online and sell his antiques. Yet Dad was sick. About a year before, his small intestine telescoped into itself and only emergency surgery saved his life. From that point on he had persistent diarrhea, taking his weight down a good 50 pounds. As we shopped on that last day together he had to look for a restroom just about every hour. But he never quit.

Dad passed away in February, 2000. The goal of my life is to emulate his faith, courage, and perseverance. 
 

Photograph and text copyright 2021, David B.Jenkins

I post each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

5 comments:

  1. Glad you have such a wonderful heritage
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a remarkable legacy you received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent image and words to remember your father. I've been thinking about that 150mm lens for my 500cm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I consider the 150 to be the basic portrait lens for the Hasselblad, Doug. For my last 'Blad kit, I owned only the 150, the 60, and the 40.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete