Monday, November 15, 2021

Medium Format for Architectural Photography

The Gray House, Graysville, Georgia

Hasselblad 500CM, 40mm Zeiss Distagon lens, Fujichrome film

 

In the mid-'90s, as films improved, I began photographing some assignments with a Pentax 6x7 fitted with a 45mm wide-angle Takumar lens and a grid screen. Even without rise/fall/shift capabilities, careful choice of vantage point and careful composition made it a useful substitute for 4x5 in many situations. I also sometimes used a Hasselblad 500CM with a 40mm Zeiss Distagon lens, but overall preferred the Pentax. Later, I added a Fuji GX680, which has the front movements of a view camera, although more limited. Better yet, the effects of the movements could be seen easily through the viewfinder, and not upside-down and backwards. It was a big horse of a camera, though, bigger than some 4x5 view cameras, but easier (for me) to use. 

Clubhouse, The Manor Apartments, Atlanta

Pentax 6x7, 45mm Takumar lens, Fujichrome film

 

The turn of the century brought some changes. As more and more of my work was done on location, it made less and less sense to maintain a studio. So in 2000 I closed my studio and moved the business to my home. I continued to do commercial work, of course -- my van easily holds everything needed for a location shoot, and for the occasional product session there is a large room in my basement. I also began to do more weddings. 

Landmark Diner, Atlanta

Pentax 6x7, 45mm Takumar lens, Fujichrome film

 

 In 2003, after being knocked in the head by the handwriting on the wall (to mix a metaphor or two), I made the switch to digital with a Canon 10D – a purchase financed by the sale of my Fuji GX680. I shot my last roll of film on June 28, 2003. To be continued.

Photographs and text copyright 2021, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

 

Tags: Dave Jenkins, architectural photography, Hasselblad cameras, Zeiss

 Distagon lenses, Pentax 6x7 camera, Takumar lens, Fujichrome film

No comments:

Post a Comment