Monday, August 14, 2023

My Way into Photography

                    Children in a special needs class in a Chattanooga elementary school.

I haven't photographed students in classrooms for more than 20 years, but I still miss it. 

Actually, photographing school activities was how I got my start in photography. In 1969, I was a teacher at a private school in Miami and was assigned the job of yearbook advisor. Partly because of my new-found enthusiasm for photography, and partly because none of the students on the yearbook staff seemed interested in doing it, I wound up photographing the full gamut of school activities, from sports to classrooms. I realized I liked photography better than teaching and began to think about a career change.

It took a while, but on January 1, 1978 I began my own business as a full-time photographer, taking on what ever work I could get. Some of it, fortunately, was for schools and colleges. In the 1980s and '90s I hoped to make photography for education a substantial part of my business, and although I did a lot of work in that area it never developed to the extent that I had hoped.

But still -- photographing in schools was always interesting and always enjoyable, and I'm grateful for the experiences I had.

The Foundation for Public Education chose the above photograph and another one from the same set to be made into 40x60-inch prints which hung in their offices for many years. 

(Photograph made in December, 2001 with a Canon EOS A2 camera, Canon 80-200mm f2.8L lens (sometime called "the Magic Drainpipe"), and Fujichrome film.)

Signed copies of the second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia are now available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com. Or, you can mail a check to me at 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags: commercial photography   photography    Canon EOS A2 camera    Canon 80-200 f2.8L lens   Fujichrome film    film photography    Foundation for Public Education

No comments:

Post a Comment