Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Seeing Photos: Look for Something Out of Place

The Satellite Dish, GA Highway 22, Taliaferro County 

Learning to see photographically is a lifelong process, as I said in my previous post about unleashing your imagination. Another good way to develop your ability to see photographically is to look for things out of place. I call it the principle of incongruity. 

The world is full of strange and wonderful things if we will only open our eyes to see them. Sometimes we even need a little help. My son Rob and I were driving along a street on the edge of Clarksville, Georgia, when he suddenly said, "Look, Dad!" I looked, and sure enough, there were dragons in someone's back yard!

                 Dragons in the Back Yard, Clarkesville, Habersham County, Georgia

 One of the best examples of incongruity I've ever seen is this great photo by B.A. "Tony" King, probably the greatest American photographer you've never heard of.

 

A harp! Abandoned in a farmer's field! Who would leave a valuable instrument such as a harp to molder away in a field? A simple photograph, but full of mystery, showing us the strangeness that's so often present in the midst of the commonplace of life. If our eyes are open to see it.

Signed copies of the second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia are now available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail a check to me at 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins. Photo of the harp copyright Judy and Tony King Foundation, 2023

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags: photography    photographic seeing    Taliferro County, Georgia    Clarkesville, Georgia    Habersham County, Georgia    B.A. "Tony" King  

No comments:

Post a Comment