Monday, September 18, 2023

Seeing Photos: Photographers to Learn From

Rooted in the Past. Walker County, Georgia

 

Well, I'm afraid I promised more than I can deliver. I said in my post of September 8th that I would suggest some photographers whose work you could study online. But when I started looking, I couldn't find as much as I had hoped. Elliott Erwitt has some excellent work posted online, and Jay Maisel has a very extensive web site, with photos arranged in categories. Tony King died several years ago and his web site has been taken down. Richard W. Brown doesn't have much on line, but Fritz Henle has many online galleries, as does Robert Doisneau. James Ravilious has a moderate amount of work online. Sam Abell has a small gallery posted.

 I hope you can learn a few things from me, but I'm a very limited resource. You can see some of my better photos at my online gallery https://davejenkins.pixels.com/

If you have access to a bookstore such as Barnes & Noble, look in their photography book section. Check used bookstores if you have any in your area. Especially, see what's available in your local library. Look for photographers whose work resonates with you. In a real sense, my career began when I found a small book by Fritz Henle in the Miami Public Library.

You may notice that I've listed mostly 20th century photographers, although some are still active. These are the ones I know, the ones who have influenced me most, even though my work doesn't look much like theirs. 

When it comes to recommending contemporary photographers, I'm afraid I can't be much help. Like the old hayrake in the photograph above, I too am rooted in the past.

 

Signed copies of the new second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail a check to me at 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography copyright 2023 The Estate of Fritz Henle. Text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography    photographic seeing       Fritz Henle     B.A. "Tony" King    Robert Doisneau     Elliott Erwitt      James Ravilious     Richard W. Brown     Jay Maisel    Sam Abell

4 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, I was looking at Sam Abell's website earlier today. I have several of his books that I look at for inspiration. I learned about Fritz Henle from reading your blog and bought one of his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that I was at least a little help to somebody! Which Henle book did you get? The book that first turned me on to the possibilities was Henle's "A New Guide to Rollei Photography."

      Delete
  2. I bought "In Search of Beauty" as it seemed to have a bit of everything from his career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I have that. It's a compendium of his career. Great book.

    ReplyDelete