Wednesday, October 11, 2023

An Old Chevrolet

Derelict Chevrolet, Keith Road, Catoosa County, Georgia
 
As I think I've written before, I used to take an occasional Sunday afternoon and ramble around back roads to see what I could see. I especially did this between 1975 and 1985, and most of my rambles were in Catoosa County, Georgia because that's where we lived in those days. We were at the north end of the county, so I mostly went south. Going north would have taken me into Chattanooga, where there were many things to photograph, but not the things I was interested in at the time. I was mostly looking for farm scenes and old things.
 
I believe this old car is a 1934 Chevrolet. I remember some friends of my family having one in the late 1940s, and the pictures I can find on the internet seem to confirm that year; although most of the photos on the 'net show versions that have been heavily customized.
 
Now grill-less, motor-less, and headlight-less, someone had parked the old girl on a slight rise just off the road, presumably in hope of selling her.
 
The photo was made with a twin-lens reflex camera, but I can't say which one because I had not yet begun to keep a notebook of my pictures. It was either a Yashica, a Rolleicord, or a Minolta, and the film would have been Kodak Ektachrome, with an ASA (now ISO) speed of 64. For comparison, I keep my Fuji cameras set at ISO 800 most of the time. Digital really makes things almost too easy.
 
Signed copies of the new second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail a check to me at 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags: photography    travel   Georgia     Catoosa County     1934 Chevrolet     twin-lens reflex     Yashica     Rolleicord     Minolta     Kodak Ektachrome     Fuji cameras 

No comments:

Post a Comment