Friday, December 8, 2023

The Southernmost Covered Bridge in America

                        The Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge, Early County, Georgia.

My travels on Georgia's backroads for my books Backroads and Byways of Georgia (now in its second edition) and Georgia: A Backroads Portrait led me to some remote, beautiful, and interesting places. Few were more interesting and beautiful than the Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge, and very few were more remote.

On a dirt road about ten miles southwest of Blakely, county seat of Early County in the extreme southwest corner of Georgia, is the 121-foot-long Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge, set in a pleasant park with a picnic area. 

Built in 1891 by J.W. Baughman and utilizing a modification of the queen post truss design, the Coheelee Creek bridge is the southernmost covered bridge in the United States. Just below the bridge is a small waterfall, which may possibly be the southernmost waterfall in Georgia. 

The photo was made with an Olympus OM-D E-M5 with a Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 lens which pretty much stayed glued to that camera.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags: photography   travel   Georgia    Blakely     Early County    Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge    Olympus OM-D E-M5    Panasonic 14-140mm f35-5.6 lens

2 comments:

  1. Lovely shot of the bridge, Dave. You must have felt a bit like Clint Eastwood taking that photo. Good to see you seem to be getting over Covid. I hope Mrs Jenkins is on the mend, too. Best wishes to you both for Christmas and the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought of it that way, Bruce, but there's always a little thrill of discovery when I find something neat I've never seen before. Thanks for commenting and for your kind words. I also always get a little kick out of reading a new comment.

    ReplyDelete