Friday, December 29, 2023

The William Daniell House, 1790

                                 The William Daniell House, Watkinsville, Georgia

After the death of his first wife, with whom he had eleven children, Revolutionary War veteran William Daniell married 17-year-old Polly Melton, and in 1790, built a new, Plantation Plain-style house for her. Fortunately, he built large, because the couple had thirteen more children together. Daniell lived to be 97, and the home he built for Polly is now thought to be the oldest house in Oconee County. In fact, it may well be the oldest house in North Georgia, although that depends upon where one draws the line between North and Central Georgia.

If you consider the line of demarcation to be Interstate 20, than the Daniell House's only rival north of the interstate is the 1793 Fort Hollingsworth-White House between Homer and Cornelia.

Just slightly south of I-20 is the Thomas Ansley Rock House near Thompson, built in 1785. The Jacob Burkhalter house in Warrenton is even older, dating from around 1778. 

On the National Register of Historic Places, the Daniell House is now owned by Oconee County and is used for weddings, receptions, family reunions, and other meetings and events.

Adapted from my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia.

(Photo: Canon EOS 6D camera, Canon EF 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 lens.)

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography  travel     Georgia     Oconee County     Watkinsville     historic houses     Canon 6D camera     Canon EF 24-85mm lens

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I'm number 7 of 8.....I thought that was a large family! :>) fleta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was number one of seven, my mother the oldest of nine. We lived in a very rural area of southern Indiana and had a neighbor family that had 22 children, as best I remember.

      Delete