Monday, April 22, 2024

Hello? Hello! Is Anyone Here?

Abandoned  home near Armuchee, Georgia.

Writing a blog on a regular schedule is like having a baby and then waking up pregnant again the next day.

Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy writing this blog. It helps me keep up my writing skills, and sometimes I even write things that surprise me. It also helps with discipline -- something I'm not very good at. I've written nearly 600 posts over the last three and a half years. But writing can be a lonely craft. And always, I wonder: is anyone listening? Is anyone reading what I write? Is it of any value to anyone? Or am I just writing for myself?

So I launch my babies out into the blogosphere, seldom knowing where they land or how they fare.  The Blogger stats say my posts get a fair number of hits, but I get very few comments. 

Which brings me to my point. I would like to ask, Is Anyone Here? Is this blog of any value to you? If it is, will you please post a brief comment? Anonymous is fine, don't need any attaboys, just a quick "I'm here" will do. I would just like to know if you're out there.

Thank you.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $4.50 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

14 comments:

  1. I am here three days a week and enjoy what you post. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for reading my blog. Your comment is an encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Dave, I read your blog on a regular basis. I enjoy your photos, the stories, and the helpful tips you provide. It's nice to have the perspective of someone who has made a living at his art, and not needing expensive gear to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here! I read most every post. They're always short, interesting, and crisply written.

    It is indeed challenging to keep creating when it feels like nobody's there. It's why I make a point of responding to every comment I receive. It's encouraged commenters to keep reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, your blog has been an inspiration for me. I learned from you, among many things, to respond to every comment.

      Delete
  4. Dear Dave,

    Rather than only saying “I’m here,” I want to say this photo of the abandoned home near Armuchee, Georgia, joins your image outside of the hospital chapel in Nigeria (https://alifeinphotography.blogspot.com/2024/03/i-like-cameras-but.html) as among my favorites.

    I know the furniture is too modern for the era of To Kill a Mockinbird, but it reminds me of Boo Radley’s home as described by Harper Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Doug. You obviously have great taste! I previously used this photo in a post in November, 2022. http://alifeinphotography.blogspot.com/2022/11/reflections-on-abandoned-house.html

      Delete
  5. Dave, thanks for posting so often - it has to be a joy, otherwise we wouldn't do it (and stick to it for such a long time).
    I came late to your blog, but since then I try to read every post and enjoy your photographs. There's so much to discover, learn and just to savor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Markus, thanks for your continued interest and support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's another Marcus to say that I read just about every post. I admire anyone who can write something coherent and interesting three times a week. Please keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcus, thanks again -- very, very much. What do you think about the occasional repost -- do you skip over them, or do you enjoy reading them again?

      Delete
  8. I just found you via Markus' blog-roll: https://markus-spring.info/blogs-i-read/
    Commenting just isn't a thing like it used to be, it doesn't mean that your posts don't have any worth.
    I've got 20 years of posts (4000+) and I still wonder about the meaning of it all. I still get some worthwhile feedback from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Professor. I hear what you're saying, but it does make one wonder if anyone is reading my stuff if no one comments. I'll check out your blog.

      Delete