Wednesday, May 1, 2024

I Like Leicas


Praying woman at an Underground Church meeting in Moscow, Russia, 1990.

 

Blog Note: This is a re-post from February, 2020.

In fact, I love Leicas. I think they are the ultimate and perfect expressions of the camera-makers art. But do I use them? No. I like Leicas, but Leicas don't like me.

In the late 1960s I was living in Miami and teaching in a high school. For some time I had been looking longingly at the cameras in Browne's Camera Shop in North Miami, where I could have bought a pristine Leica M3 with a 50mm Summicron for $275 -- more than I could afford on my teacher's salary. But when I got a $300 windfall, I didn't buy a Leica, I bought a Nikon F single-lens reflex and a pair of Tamron lenses because I could photograph my school's football games with the 135mm f2.8 telephoto lens .

I did later buy a Leica, a IIIC with a 50mm f2 Summitar lens for $40 at the Bird Road Drive-In flea market, but found it inconvenient to operate. However, I didn't want to give up on the idea of rangefinder photography. In fact, I tried for 40 years (no kidding!) to make myself into a rangefinder shooter because many of the photographers that I most admired shot with rangefinders and because I believed all the many photo magazine articles written in praise of the rangefinder approach to photography

Along the way, I owned a number of fine cameras: several Leica M3s, a lovely Canon P, and numerous non-interchangeable lens rangefinders.

But I sold my last Leica, a treasured M3 with 50mm Summicron in 2010. The Retina IIc and the Olympus SPn went two years later. They were part of a world in which I do not belong and which I left with some sadness. I still believe all the things I read, but I also came to believe that there is such a thing as a rangefinder temperament, and that I do not have it. I reluctantly faced the reality that I am not and never will be a rangefinder shooter.

In my heart I’m a globe-trotting, Leica-toting, black & white documentarian of the human condition. 

Well, I have indeed done the globe-trotting documentation thing, and some (but not much) of it was with Leicas. But mostly it was done with a bag of Olympus OMs. Because in reality I am an SLR-shooting, zoom lens, color photographer whose style (I flatter myself) probably most resembles that of Sam Abell.

But I have wondered many, many times over the years how my life and career might have been different if I had learned serious photography with a rangefinder system instead of an SLR.

About the photo: In March of 1990 the Berlin wall had fallen just four months previously. But in Russia, persecuted evangelical Christians were still meeting secretly for fear of the government. The photograph was made with a Leica M3 and 50mm f2 Summicron lens on fast but grainy 3M 640T film pushed one stop to E.I. 1280.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $4.50 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography     travel     Moscow, Russia   Leica M3     Leica IIIC     50mm f2 Summicron lens     Nikon F     Tamron lenses     Canon P     rangefinder cameras     Olympus OM     underground church     3M640T film

No comments:

Post a Comment