Monday, July 22, 2024

Commonplace

Abandoned one-room school (or possibly a church) near Cleveland, Georgia.

In 1974, noted photographer David Plowden published Commonplace, his eighth book of photographs. It was described as "a careful and affectionate look at small-town and back-road America in the 1960s and '70s." Just commonplace things and scenes. The book is still available at Amazon if you're interested.

Like the photographs in Plowden's book, very few of my photographs are outstanding or spectacular. Mostly, they depict the ordinary, everyday things or scenes we pass by with little or no notice. My hope is to impart some significance to commonplace things by seeing and photographing them in a fresh way.  

Monument. (Oglethorpe County, Georgia.)

 

Abandoned hayrake. Southwest Georgia.

 

Cogdell Store. South Georgia.


 Brown-eyed Susans. U.S. Highway 41 near Valdosta, Georgia.

I apologize for the imprecise location data for some of these pictures. Several years ago I lost my travel notebook covering the time span during which they were taken. If you're serious about photography, keep a notebook of when and where you make your pictures. You will never regret it.

Main Street, Pavo, Georgia.

About the photos: The picture of the abandoned school was made with a Fuji X-H1 camera fitted with the Fujicron XC 16-50mm lens. "Monument" was photographed with a Canon EOS 20D and the Canon EF 24-85mm lens. All the other photos were made with a Canon EOS 5D Classic, also with the 24-85mm lens.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography     travel    Georgia    digital photography   Canon EOS 5D camera     Canon EOS 20D camera    Fuji X-H1 camera   Fujicron XC16-50mm lens

No comments:

Post a Comment