Friday, July 12, 2024

My Red Fetish

Red Volkswagen, Miami, 1969/70

I've loved the color red all my adult life. My favorite ties are red, my socks are red, black, and grey argyles, and, being a thorough-going obsessive-compulsive, I even have a red cover on my iPad and red paper clips on my desk. As I write this, I'm wearing a red T-shirt.

Naturally, all of this bleeds over into my photography. I gravitate to subjects with lots of red.

Two red chairs on farmhouse porch near Valdosta, Georgia, 2006.

Psychologists say people who love red are passionate and hot-headed. I don't think that's true of me. I consider myself easy-going, even-tempered, and relaxed. People who are hard-driving give me a pain. 

Red Chaise lounge, U.S. Highway 129, Irwin County, Georgia, 2010.

 This is more in line with my temperament. This red chaise lounge by a pond in south Georgia was so inviting I was tempted to park my car and sit awhile.

Civil War bugle. Chickamauga Battlefield, Walker County, Georgia, 1975.

 I apologize for using this photo in two posts in a row, but it's just about my favorite red photo and I couldn't leave it out. The color saturation of that Kodachrome film is amazing.

Starr's Mill, Georgia Highway 85 near Senoia, Fayette County, 2011.

And last, but by no means least, Starr's Mill. One the two most beautiful old mills in Georgia and one of my favorite compositions.

Photos: The red VW was photographed with my first good camera, a Nikon F and Kodachrome film. The photo of the bugle was made with a Nikkormat, also with Kodachrome. A Canon EOS 20D was used for the two red chairs, and a Canon EOS 5D for the red chaise lounge. Starr's Mill was photographed with the 12-megapixel Olympus E-PL1.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography     Georgia    Nikon F camera     Kodachrome film    Canon EOS 20D camera    Nikkormat camera    Canon EOS 5D cameera     Olympus E-PL1 camera     old mills     Starr's Mill

No comments:

Post a Comment