Friday, February 24, 2023

Bygone Days at Graysville Mill

 Gray's Mill, Graysville, Georgia, early 1970s.

 I think I may have shown this picture before, but I'm writing about it again because it reminds me of a difficult, yet wonderful time. 

Louise and I met and married in Florida and lived there for several years. However, I always wanted to move back to the Chattanooga area, where I had gone to college and grad school. In 1970 we made the move, buying a small house in East Brainerd. I had a difficult time finding a good job; in fact, I bounced around for two years before catching on with Continental Film Productions. That was the true beginning of my professional career as a photographer and writer.

We had no money, but we were an active young family and were always able to find something fun to do. Thanks especially to Louise, who had the gift of making almost anything seem fun. Most days, if the weather was decent we were out walking or riding our bikes around the neighborhood. One of our favorite places was the old mill at Graysville, about a mile from our house.

I'll always cherish our time as a young family. We had so little, yet, we were rich. To this day I'm envious when I see young families and wish I could go back and relive those years.

(The picture was made with a medium format twin-lens reflex Yashica or Rolleicord vb on Kodak Ektachrome film around 1972.)


If you like my photographs, you can see more of them in my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and, who knows? You might find something you want to keep.

The second edition of my book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia will be released in June, 2023. 

Photograph and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment