Monday, February 13, 2023

Nostalgic for Film

 Derelict schooners, Wiscasset, Main

 I used film happily for 35 years. I did not want change to digital imaging, and did it with great reluctance. (As in, I fought it tooth and toenail.) To me, digital had no "soul."

But "the times, they were a-changin'," as the song says, and it appeared to me that I needed to adopt the new technology if I wanted to remain competitive in my profession.

Digital imaging has many advantages over film photography. Cost is one. Film and processing for a wedding was costing me three to five hundred dollars. And the sharpness and clarity of digital images was clearly superior to film images, even in those early days. My first digital camera, a six-megapixel Canon EOS 10D, made 16x20-inch prints that were indistinguishable from those from my medium format Pentax 6x7.

But still. . .
. . .I like film. There's an indefinable something about the way it looks that appeals to me. I wish I could do a better job of explaining that appeal, but as I said, it's indefinable. Perhaps it only exists in my mind. 

Anyway, I don't shoot much film anymore because digital is just so darned convenient, as well as being essentially free. 

But I'm nostalgic for film. Or maybe I'm just nostalgic for those years in my life. Good years that I would love to live again.

(The schooners (now completely rotted away) were photographed in 1984 with a Calumet-Cambo 4x5 view camera with a 210mm Rodenstock lens, and Kodak Ektachrome 64 film.)


If you like my photographs, you can see more of them in my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and, who knows? You might find something you want to keep.

The second edition of my book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia will be released in June, 2023. 

Photographs and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

4 comments:

  1. I also find it difficult to explain why I think film photographs are so attractive, but I know what you mean. Digital is a good reproduction of reality whereas film seems like an interpretation of reality. Hmm, yeah, difficult to explain.
    Great photo, by the way. I like all the nice horizontals and then the strong verticals of the masts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear from you, Marcus. How are things in your part of the world?
      Glad you like the photo. I was surprised at the response it has received.
      Trying to define the indefinable is kinda like trying to unscrew the inscrutable.

      Delete
    2. Things are fine here. I'm waiting for the snow to disappear so I can get out on my bicycle again. 'Unscrew the inscrutable' is a great phrase.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Marcus. I also like "untangle the intangible."

      Delete