Friday, February 17, 2023

Visits to Maine

Louise on the beach at Pine Point, Maine. Low tide.

Her parents took her there when she was a small child.

 

The response to my picture of the old, abandoned ships at Wiscasset, Maine was surprising and gratifying, and got me thinking about our trips to Maine over the years. We first went in 1982 on vacation. You can read a bit about it here.

Of course, I'm never really on vacation, so I carried two Leica M3s and a lot of Kodachrome film. I shot a lot, but didn't get many photos that I consider memorable. The picture of Louise remembering her childhood on the beach at Pine Point at low tide is one I like.

Lobster shack at York Harbor, Maine

We went back in 1984; again in our Starcraft pop-up Camper. This time I carried Olympus 35mm equipment and my 4x5 view camera. I didn't shoot much with the 4x5, but I got at least two I'm happy with -- the schooners, and the lobster shack at York Harbor.

Dawn at Nubble Light, York, Maine

 In 1988 I had an assignment from Missions USA, the magazine of the Southern Baptist Home Mission Board that took me to several northeastern states, including Maine. Louise was able to accompany me. In addition to my usual 35mm Olympus OM cameras and lenses, I carried a Pentax 6x7 medium format camera and used it to make the photo of the surf at Nubble Light. I had switched to Fujichrome 100D film by this time.

Louise scores her favorite food

Finally, we passed through Maine in our RV, coming and going to Halifax, Nova Scotia in 2019. Photographically, the trip was a bust, but not for Louise, who got to eat her favorite food six days in a row. 

Maine was a great place to go back in the '80s, but has become overrun with tourism, especially along the coast. We will remember our good times there, but we aren't likely to go back.


If you like my photographs, you can see more of them in my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and, who knows? You might find something you want to keep.

The second edition of my book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia will be released in June, 2023. 

Photograph and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.


 

1 comment:

  1. Four very strong images. I especially like "Lobster Shack at York Harbour, Maine" for the lines in the composition.
    Everywhere in Korea is overrun by tourists as well. If a quaint or interesting village appears on some television show, the next weekend a million people from the big cities show up and the development craze begins. Everything is converted to a seafood restaurant or a coffee shop and multi-story hotels start to crowd the streets. After a few years there is nothing quaint left to see. But people show up anyway to eat fish, drink coffee, and do their best Instagram gaze at the sea. Maybe I'm just an old grumpy guy. :)

    ReplyDelete