Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Looking for Pictures

 Boynton Beauty Salon

(Click to enlarge)

As I mentioned in my previous post, although I don't usually go out looking for pictures these days, I did a lot of it through the 1970s and on until 1988, when I began to get assignments, especially overseas projects, that were so picture-rich that I no longer felt the need to go looking for photographs. 

Although I was working in photography during most of those years, especially from 1978 on, when I had my own commercial/take-on-anything-that-comes-along photography business, there was a certain itch that couldn't be scratched by the general run of commercial work, even though I enjoyed most of what I did. 

Since I didn't live in town, street photography wasn't much of an option, or as they say these days, a viable option. I lived in the country, or at least on the edge of the country, so I spent many hours, especially Sunday afternoons, patrolling back roads looking for pictures. 

Early 1940s Ford pickup

There was a lot more driving than picture-taking, but I did manage to find a few photographs that I liked, and still like, and it ultimately pointed me in the direction of back roads and rural structures, which is largely what my books are about.

Both of these photographs were made around 1976, and as best I remember, were made with Nikon Nikkormat cameras; the beauty salon with a 50mm f2 Nikkor, and the old Ford pickup with a 28mm f2.5 Vivitar. Kodachrome 25 film for both.

Blog Note: I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings at alifeinphotography.blogspot.com. I'm trying to build up my readership, so if you're reading this on Facebook and like what I write, would you please consider sharing my posts?

(Photographs copyright David B. Jenkins 2020)

Soli Gloria Deo

To the glory of God alone


 

1 comment:

  1. I used a few rolls of Kodachrome 25 and loved the sharpness! But the lack of color saturation made me only use Kodachrome 64 during the 80's. I would buy it way ahead and "age" it until close to expiration date before using since I heard that the color saturation was better then. Know for sure if this practice was warranted or not? I used KR 64 until I discovered wonderful Fuji Velvia in the early 90's.

    ReplyDelete