Friday, February 19, 2021

A New Book (sorta)

 Benjamin Gachet House, Barnesville, GA

An unusually fine example of Plantation Plain architecture.

Canon EOS 6D, 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 lens

(Click to enlarge)

I guess my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia is doing okay. It was published in 2017 by Countryman Press, an imprint of W.W. Norton. They have just ordered another print run and have asked me to do a second edition.

Georgia is a big state, densely packed with interesting things to see and do. I traveled nearly 11,000 miles to explore Georgia and map out fifteen tours encompassing the best the state has to offer -- from Savannah to St. Mary's along the historic Atlantic coast, the Appalachians in the northwest, the broad plains of the southwest, and the Blue Ridge Mountains of the northeast. And lots of interesting stuff in central Georgia.

With so much geographical diversity, Georgia makes a great driver’s getaway.  Everywhere you look, there's something new to discover: abundant natural beauty, the historic, the quirky and offbeat, the strange and unusual, and the beautiful. Old houses, old churches, old courthouses, old mills, covered bridges and historic sites. It also includes itineraries for trips of differing durations and in different seasons, tips for comfortable accommodations, great food, and good shopping.

For the second edition I will need to drive the original tours, taking note of any changes that may have occurred. I will also need to contact the various restaurants, hotels, and attractions that I listed to see if there have been change in hours and/or prices. Sadly, in this time of the dreaded virus some of them may no longer be in business 

The publisher has also asked me to add one more tour, which will be southeast Georgia, a region that I neglected in the first edition.

My wife is facing two surgeries, which will keep us here at the campground for a few months while she recuperates, but I can use the time to contact the restaurants, hotels, and attractions to confirm and update their information.

You can get a copy of Backroads and Byways of Georgia at Barnes & Noble, Amazon, or your local bookstore. Or you can order a signed and inscribed copy directly from me at djphoto@vol.com. The cost is $21.95 plus $3.50 shipping. My email address is my PayPal ID. Go ahead and order your copy now, because the second edition won't be out until mid-2022.

Photograph copyright David B. Jenkins 2021

Soli Gloria Deo

To the glory of God alone

Tags: photography, backroads, Georgia, Savannah, St. Mary's, Barnesville, Appalachians, Blue Ridge Mountains, Countryman Press, W.W. Norton, Canon EOS 6D, Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 EF lens

1 comment:

  1. My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was totally right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks! drone aerial photography mapping

    ReplyDelete