Monday, February 1, 2021

The Informal Portrait: Roger Stiles

 Dr. Roger Stiles, Educator 

(Click to enlarge)


Roger and I were college freshmen together. After graduation I went my way, while Roger stuck around, earned the appropriate degrees, and began teaching there. Later in life he became president of the institution. 

In the mid 1980s I did a great deal of promotional photography for the school, including two multi-media productions. This photograph of Roger teaching was made before he became school president. I was transitioning from Kodachrome 64 to Fujichrome around the time I made this photo, so I'm not sure what film was used, but it was probably Kodachrome. Lighting was one Bogen strobe unit to Roger's left, bounced off the ceiling. Sidelighting and backlighting are important elements of my photographic style. The camera was my old reliable Olympus OM2n and the lens was probably the 85mm f2 Zuiko, although it could have been the 60-200 f4 Zuiko zoom. 

I always enjoyed photographing at schools and colleges. In fact, I got my start in photography while I was teaching in a private high school in Miami and did most of the candid photography for the school yearbook. After that year I decided I would rather pursue a career in photography than in teaching -- which I did, although it took me a few years to make the transition. I don't regret it, although I do still miss being in the classroom with the kids sometimes. 

I haven't seen Roger recently, but as far as I know he and Betty are still doing well. I wish them well. They are good people. 

Photograph copyright David B. Jenkins 2021

Soli Gloria Deo

To the glory of God alone

No comments:

Post a Comment