Monday, February 22, 2021

The Village of Rex

 

Rex Mill, Rex Village, Georgia

Minolta Autocord Twin-Lens Reflex camera, Fujichrome Provia 100 film

(Click to enlarge)

Hidden in Atlanta’s back yard less than 15 miles from the state capitol is a tiny pocket of non-progress -- the Clayton County village of Rex. Old Rex Road, with its one-lane bridge over Big Cotton Indian Creek is still there, as are Rex Mill, with its dam and small, overshot wheel; the row of storefronts, and the Masonic Lodge. 

The mill itself was built in 1830 by I.L. Hollingsworth, and named after his dog. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. And although it has been idle for many years, a few older folks still remember the days when farmers brought their grain to the mill in horse-pulled wagons to be ground into flour or cornmeal. 

Rex Village

Canon EOS 5D Classic camera, Canon 24-85 f3.5-4.5 EF lens

But now, fifty yards downstream and high above the creek, a new Rex Road on a modern bridge spans the little valley from the past. The Village of Rex has been bypassed both figuratively and literally by the twenty-first century. 

(Adapted from my limited-edition book Georgia: A Backroads Portrait. 

Photographs copyright David B. Jenkins 2021

Soli Gloria Deo

To the glory of God alone

Tags: Photography, Atlanta, Clayton County, Rex Mill, old mills, Canon EOS 5D Classic camera, Canon 24-85 f3.5-4.5 EF lens, Minolta Autocord Twin-Lens Reflex, Fujichrome Provia film

2 comments:

  1. I live just a few miles from here, in Riverdale. I cant believe you did not call me, and even spend the night with my sista n me! I wish I had known you were going to be here. Where r u now? Call me at 6783338272. Brenda Appleton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this write-up to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing! drone aerial inspections nashville

    ReplyDelete