Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Noticing Visual/Verbal Puns

Stop Ahead!

Apison Pike at TN Hwy.321, Hamilton County, TN

This was in the early 1970s, so I was probably using

a Rolleicord twin-lens reflex, Agfa B&W film

 

I love visual/verbal puns and seem to find them everywhere. Admittedly, my humor is a bit offbeat and I have a finely-tuned sense of irony, but I do seem to notice things that other people pass by without a second look (or even a first look, for that matter). But that's okay. One of the primary functions of a photographer is to show people the things in this big, wide, wonderful world that they would otherwise miss.

What catches my eye? As I wrote in the introduction to my limited edition book Georgia: A Backroads Portrait, ". . .the old, the abandoned, the beautiful. The strange, the unusual. The off-beat, the quirky, and the ordinary."

Some puns are so obvious they almost hit you in the face. The barn and stop sign in the photo at the top of this post were on a well-traveled intersection just outside Chattanooga, yet I wonder how many people passed them without a glance or a thought.


Boynton Beauty Salon

Old GA Hwy 2, Catoosa County GA

Nikkormat FTN, 50mm Nikkor lens, Kodachrome 25

 

Other puns are a bit more subtle, like the second picture, but still easy to get if you look at it for a second or two.

Still others seem, to me at least, to be very subtle, like the photograph at the bottom of the post. What do you think?

Holy Ghost Fire on Burnt Mountain

GA Hwy. 136, Pickens County, GA

Canon 5D Classic, 24-85 f3.5-4.5 EF lens, Fujichrome 100

 

So what's the point of this series of posts? Simply this: Open your eyes. There's a world full of cool things to see and show.

Photographs and text copyright 2021, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

No comments:

Post a Comment