Thursday, March 10, 2022

Breakfast at Susie's

Breakfast at Susie's

The name of Susie’s Café on the square in beautiful downtown LaFayette, Georgia was officially Susie’s Sunset Café. But I’ve always thought it should have been named Susie’s Sunrise Café, because in the early morning the rising sun streamed in through the plate-glass front and illuminated everything all the way to the back wall.

Susie’s had booths down each side for those who preferred a feeling of relative privacy. But it also had a couple of long tables down the middle where lawyers, businessmen, farmers, factory workers, and gas station attendants ate their breakfasts together and chewed the fat (no reflection on the bacon) in amiable equality. 

Susie's is gone now, but there are still places like it in small towns around the country. In fact, Louise and I ate breakfast in a very similar place in Wyoming when we pulled our camper west in 2018.  

Adapted from my limited-edition book Georgia: A Backroads Portrait.

This photograph was made with a small Olympus SPn 35mm rangefinder camera with a 40mm lens and Fujicolor 400 color negative film. I was casually watching the men from a booth across from their table, and when I  saw a composition I liked I quietly raised the camera and shot two or three frames.

 Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone 

No comments:

Post a Comment