Monday, March 28, 2022

The Missing Chapter

     Built in 1880 by James Parrish, the covered bridge at George L. Smith

State Park near Twin City was also a fully-functioning grist mill.

 

Millstones at the Parrish Mill

 

In the fall of 2020 I was asked by my editor at Countryman Press if I would like to do a second edition of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia. In addition, he asked me to do another chapter, or tour.

I did a little work on the book that fall, but was very busy getting our house and farm ready to sell, so I didn't begin serious work on it until the spring of 2021. The project involved driving each of the 15 tours, checking for anything that might have changed since I mapped out the first edition in 2016. I did most of the travel in June and July; driving nearly 8,000 miles, including extensive travel for the 16th tour. In fact, it was one of the longest and most expensive to produce.

Over the summer, my editor left and a new one took charge.

The very lovely 1854 Scarboro Baptist Church

 

 With the second edition almost ready to go to the publisher, I received an email from the editor a few days ago telling me that because of the cost of paper, they needed to keep the second edition about the same size as the first. Consequently, I should only turn in 15 chapters, my choice.

I decided to keep the original 15 chapters, so since the 16th will never see the light of day I decided to share some of the pictures with you.

The 1894 Bulloch County Courthouse, Statesboro

 

 Photographs and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

No comments:

Post a Comment