Monday, March 14, 2022

Noticing Incongruity

Boynton Beauty Salon

 If you've been reading my blog for very long, you may have noticed that I keep coming back to the subject of noticing things. If you want to make good photographs you have to keep your eyes open. As the great Elliott Erwitt, one of the most significant photographers of the last half of the 20th century, said, "The most important ability in photography is the ability to notice things." I wrote more extensively about this here and here.

Best Iron Works in Town

Orange Walk Town, Belize

 

One of the things I'm always looking for is incongruity, which is defined as placing things together that visually don't belong together, that are incompatible with each other. One of my all-time favorite examples of incongruity was a sign on a store in Chattanooga that sold prosthetics. It read "STUBBS: Limbs and Braces."

Unfortunately, although I passed the store many times, I never photographed the sign. I always told myself that I would get it next time, but I never did. Which reminds me of something that I want to write about soon: photocrastination.

Meantime, keep your eyes open for visual incongruities -- things that have funny or interesting ways of not fitting together.

 Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment