Wednesday, August 31, 2022

A Peterbilt Prototype in Infrared

Antique truck, south central Georgia 
 

A field of cars stashed randomly alongside a highway in south central Georgia looked too good to be a junkyard, but not good enough to be a used car lot. The star of the show appeared to be a rusty 1920s era truck parked up close to the highway where everyone passing by would be sure to see it. I didn't see a "For Sale" sign, but surely that was the point of the display.

I couldn't find a logo or nameplate, but from the shape and length of the hood and the dishpan headlights one might wonder if this could have been an early prototype of the Peterbilt semi-tractor!

The photo of the truck was made while I was beginning work on a book about the lost barns of Rock City (a project which unfortunately has yet to be completed, although I have most of the photos).  As best I can tell from my notes, the location was U.S. Highway 19 in Taylor County and the date was October 29th, 1996. At that time I was planning to photograph the lost barns (barns which had been lost from Rock City's records) on black and white infrared film, so that's what I had in my camera. I used a Canon EOS A2 (great camera!) with a Canon EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 lens and scanned the negative with my Minolta DiMage 5400 scanner.

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone

My book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is now out of print, although copies are apparently still available from Amazon, and possibly other sources. The second edition is now in the editing stage and is scheduled to be released on December 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment