Monday, August 1, 2022

Moving On

At home in Pigeon Forge

 We have been in Pigeon Forge for about two weeks, camping at the Walden Creek RV Park, and will soon be moving on. We've been pleased with the park, and especially with our site, which is one of the nicest we have had so far.

The traffic is another matter.

we came to the Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg area many times for weekend getaways in the 1970s when we were a young family, and always enjoyed it. But no more! The whole world seems to have discovered Pigeon Forge and has descended upon the place in innumerable cars and trucks and SUVs and motorcycles and RVs. The traffic is truly unbelievable. Let's just say we don't plan to come back. Been there, done that.

Today we're going to Chattanooga to have Louise's hip checked. It was broken last January and she is afraid she may have re-injured it. We also hope to see an audiologist, because her hearing aids are not functioning well.

On Tuesday we plan move back to the Raccoon Valley RV park just north of Knoxville for one night, then on Wednesday move on to Spring Mill State Park in southern Indiana, the traditional site for the Jenkins Family Reunion, which will take place next Saturday, August 6th.

As has been the case since my mother passed away in 2006, I'll be the oldest one there. Fortunately, no one treats me like an old man. My first cousin Sarah Williams and I discovered a few years ago that we were each other's oldest living relative. Mostly I'm okay with that, but if I want to know something that happened a long time ago in family history there's no one to ask.

Sadly, the four siblings immediately younger than I have all passed away, I miss them greatly. Only my two youngest brothers and I remain.

But this is a happy time. We have kids and grandkids and great-grandkids to enjoy. And we will.

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone

My book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is now out of print, although copies are apparently still available from Amazon, and possibly other sources. The second edition is now in the editing stage and is scheduled to be released on December 6th.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Dave, prayers for your family as you address your wife's medical issues, and for safe travels. My wife was born near Oakland City, IN.

    ReplyDelete