Friday, July 29, 2022

Morning Shower

A Bucket Shower at the Well, Madras City Beach, India

The little three-wheeled taxi let me out by the edge of the sand, about 300 yards from the water at Madras city beach. A hundred yards along, I noticed several men taking their morning showers by dipping buckets into a well and pouring the water over themselves. I kept well back so as not to intrude and photographed them with a 180mm f2.8 Olympus Zuiko telephoto (a very fine lens indeed) mounted on an Olympus OM2n camera. The film, as usual, was Fujichrome 100D slide film.

Pete Porter and Greg Clawson commented about Monday's photo of the two fishermen that it "looked like a National Geographic magazine photo."

I consider that a high compliment. Throughout my career I aspired to work for National Geographic, and even had a portfolio showing with them in Washington, D.C. at one time. They expressed liking for my work, but explained that it took years to train photographers to shoot in the Geographic style. They told me that they were up to their ears in photographers, but only up to their ankles in ideas! 

Photographs and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone

My book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is now out of print, although copies are apparently still available from Amazon, and possibly other sources. The second edition is now in the editing stage and is scheduled to be released on December 6th.

 

1 comment:

  1. Dave, you must have been very disappointed when you didn't get the job, but God gave you the chance to travel the world, make wonderful photographs, and serve Him while doing so.

    ReplyDelete